Monday, January 5, 2015

Nurturing Without Sleep

Over the summer I had the opportunity to watch over my three little nephews while their parents were away on an anniversary trip. We were at my parents house so I was not alone in this I was just there so they would not wear out my parents, Grandma and Grandpa. I therefore took upon myself night duty with the little baby. I was to wake up when he did at any hour of the night make a bottle and feed him, and any other need that would take place.


The few day adventure began I had the clean bottle ready for easy access and mentally told myself that I must get up whenever I heard the baby cry I would feel horrible if I slept through it and someone else woke up.  I was prepared as I could be like with almost everything in life there is just no preparing for some events. At first I slept restlessly  for fear of missing the cry but as, he would cry. I would go pick him up and with one arm hold and comfort him with the other make his bottle, being partly asleep many of the times. Night after night I was able to sleep better and awake when he did. I was tempted at times to let someone else take a turn but this is what I wanted and the hard must come with the good so thereby making the good much better. I would get up and repeat. Sometimes nodding off for a heart beat or two while he was eating.  Among the weariness there is a peace when sacrificing for a little baby and watching him eat and he looking back into my eyes, full of love and trust. In the end it was beautiful and worth the effort and sacrifice.


My hat goes off  to all you mothers I did this only for a number of days or should I say nights and I was grateful to pass the baton, while you do this month and even years on  end.

No comments:

Post a Comment