Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Words: Dreaded to Forgotten

Last year while teaching one of my dance classes I had dreaded words delivered to me, those words that strike the heart; no matter how you try to not let them. It had been a hard course correction day, I had to inform the children that they are not making the incorrect choices and thereby consequences would take place. At the end of class we do a ‘good-bye-train’ where each child gets to dance by-themselves to their parents. On this occasion I was trying to help them remain in the line without the pushing and/or pulling of hair etc. With all the parents now in the room ready to pick up their child a little girl yelled, “I hate you!” which then echoed through the room far too long, for my liking.  This was the first time a child had said those words to me and though I was initially prepared for them, you have to be when working with children, the final execution of them still stung vividly. I tried to brush off the words, knowing that she truly don’t mean it the way we as a adults understand the words. She was simply unhappy with what was going on and made it known. However, when the next week came along I was most interested  to know how she would react and what my plan was to help her understand what I am asking of her as well as have a fun and successful experience. I went through many different scenarios in my head and the simpleness of what took place was a surprise. She had forgiven and forgotten all about it and was ready to move on with her dance education.  

Children are so amazing; I was thinking through every strategy I could think of to make the situation better. She had already forgiven me for those things she dislike about her situation. I want to be more forgiving like this child and so many others like her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment