Thursday, August 14, 2014

Words Fail...Hug!

Through my time teaching there is one little girl that I have worked with through many different interactions. She has developmental challenges, she was born with. The details of which I don't know. I simply understood that she needed extra help. I and the other teachers that worked with her had to help her constantly with the most basic of instructions, sit, stand, be still and so on. Working with her was a lot of hard work and patience on everyone's part, not excluding the dancer’s work as well. She would wander off in the middle of just about anything we would be doing in class in her own little world. The best way to bring her back to what the class was doing would be to allow her to complete what ever task she had in mind to do. For example touching a spot on the wall or floor. Once complete she would willingly follow you back to the class. I tried to always be loving and patient with her and help her learn what she could. After that year of working with her she moved on to other classes. Now and then I would sub for her class and then one year I taught the class before her’s. Every time I saw her she would get so excited to see me she would wave her arms around and make happy noises with a large bright smile on her face. I would give her a hug. In fact it became one of her missions to give me a hug almost each week before she would participate in her own class.  There was so much love in those hugs, the best way she knew how to communicate. Whenever I see her and she recognizes me I get one of those hugs. They make my day and I look forward to them.


She seemed to learn a little more dance after teaching her that first year and I am sure the other teachers could say the same in the following years. She learned to love to dance which in the end is one gift I truly wish to give any child willing to receive it no matter how good they become. However I feel as though I have learn and been given more from her. That being able to see her example of love and goodness to another soul and being a recipient of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment