Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Seeds of Such Potential

This past weekend was General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and all others that want to hear, where we a global church get to hear the world from the mouth of prophets in our day! This is broadcasted in many different ways and languages so anyone that wishes can be a part.  I spent one of the days with my brother’s family, my three little nephews. Most of the time the boys played while the adults listen, which is to be expected at such a young age they don’t have the attention span for four hours of messages.


For a little while my oldest nephew came and snuggled up next to me on the couch and after seeing me take down some notes asked me what I was doing. I explained to him that when I heard words that touched my heart I wrote them down. This satisfied him and he settled back down next to me for the next few moments. I then wrote something down and he wanted to know what I wrote so I read it to him. He followed my response by asking what that meant. I explained the principle the best I could so he might understand. Then once again settled in next to me. A moment or two later he said something to the effect of, “ He said love; write it down.” So I did, for his four year old mind there are so many words he has no idea what they are so for him to pick out a word he understood is so amazing. He continued listening and picked out a couple more words like repentance, this time wanting to know what it meant, along with a few others. I turned to him and each time explained the best way I could that he might find some understanding, at some level. I did not get too much out of the message that was intended at the time but simply what was being taught to me by  my nephew, his willingness to learn and record what he was learning.

Children are always surprising in their ability to pick up on things and really just their desire to learn what they can. They are so full of potential to grow into something amazing if we guide them on their way, like that of a small seed that will grown in to a great plant. If we open our hearts we can learn from their learning as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment