Thursday, October 9, 2014

“I Help”

A few Saturdays ago I was itching to get out in the yard and do some good old fashion work. Knowing my brother and his family would be doing just that I volunteered some of my time. I tackled the mowing of the lawn, while my two older nephews played in the lawn and porch. Pretty soon they had lost interest in their many activities  they were moving between.  First the youngest came up to me so I stopped the lawnmower so I would hear him and keep him safe. “I help?” he asked me. Well if you have not guessed already I have a very hard time refusing cute little children and helping was not such a bad idea; that is what you want your children to say anyway. I could not refuse his goodness. Thinking it through quickly I put one of his little hands in each one of my back pockets of the jeans I was wearing and instructed him to help me push. I started up the lawn mower again and off we went the corners were the trickiest because I have a little body behind me I could not just whip around the corners and head back the other way so they turned into careful 3 point turns. After a few lengths of the lawn his older brother could not be left out so he came up wanting to help as well.  I put him in front of me and instructed him to push as well. I wish I had a picture of this moment. A moment when two little boys wanted to help. It did make it harder for me but now they have helped.


After a little time the oldest figured it must be more fun pushing from behind so he needed his turn. So we switched places. Now the younger and shorter of the two was holding up by my hands his feet on the ground from time to time but most of the time he tip toed or hung from his hands, while big brother had his turn in back. Naturally this way did not last long. Soon they were done helping me with the lawn and moved on but how sweet these boys were in wanting to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment