Wednesday, July 23, 2014

One BIG Mommy Moment

A couple years back I was asked to be a Nanny for a weeklong period of time. The parents were going to go on a trip. The children were all old enough to be as school so I was able to work or get things done during the school day. I was with the children when they were out of school. I did everything from sleeping there; driving them around to their various activities, to helping them get their homework done. Any and all of those little jobs that are encompassed in the being a parent category I fulfilled. For a week I worked with them, played with them, comforted them and encouraged them. It was fun to load up all the children and take them to their activities and then pick them up and hear about all the goings ons of that particular activity. There were adventures to be found when I would make their meals and I would not do it the way they thought I should and or surprise them with my different ideas, I introduced to them. There was a time when the son forgot his homework at home and he called me up and I brought it to him, followed by his gratitude. There were many other events that took place that if I had written them down sooner I would remember them better. However what I walked away with after that week, with these children, was most precious. I drove home that Saturday and the following days there was a definite hole in my life. I missed them! Of course there were things I didn’t miss that are not so glamorous when working with children day in and day out. Yet, those are shadows and really only made the sweet things even sweeter. I developed a love for those children and they for me. Of course they were glad to see their parents after the week but even to this day when I see one of them around their eyes light up and a smile warms their face, followed by my heart. They no longer need me they are old high school students and beyond at this point but they shared with me their family and their love this I will always remember the time they shared with me their home!

No comments:

Post a Comment